This year, local contests will be held for the First Ward and the Second & Third Ward At-large City Council seats (each with 4-year terms) and for three Plainfield Board of Education seats (each with a 3-year term). Below are the election deadlines for 2018, courtesy of the Union County Clerk's office. Nominating petitions are available in the Plainfield Municipal Clerk's office at 515 Watchung Avenue.
Thursday, February 22, 2018
Wednesday, February 21, 2018
Union County Clerk Joanne Rajoppi has made the 2018 County Clerk Calendar available free upon request for New Jersey residents. Click on the link below to fill out the online request form. Requests will be mailed out by the next business day. For voter information for the 2018 election cycles, click on the link at right to see the calendar of upcoming election dates.
The League of Women Voters of Plainfield will be celebrating its centennial in May of 2020. Stay tuned for more information as we undertake to observe the 100th year of our local league, one of the oldest active leagues in the nation!
|Pre-1920s March for Suffrage, Courtesy The League of Women Voters (National)|
Wednesday, November 8, 2017
The League of Women Voters of Plainfield would like to congratulate all the winners of yesterday's election, and would also like to thank ALL the candidates, whose commitment to public service has earned them the respect of our citizenry. Below are the unofficial results for the City of Plainfield, municipal and school board, from the Union County Clerk's office. Click on the photo to enlarge. Click on the link to see the statewide and county election results. The deadline for the County Clerk to transmit the Official General Election Results to the Secretary of State is November 16.
Tuesday, November 7, 2017
Wednesday, November 1, 2017
Please come out to the League of Women Voters of Plainfield Candidate Forum, which is being held this evening at Emerson Community School at 6:30 PM. Please click on the "Candid Forum Rules" page for our guidelines, as well as for clarification regarding Write-In Candidates. Below you will find the agenda and guidelines for this evening's forum.
AGENDA & GUIDELINES
1. Welcome and pledge of allegiance by League member.
2. Introduction of forum moderator Marlene Sincaglia.
3. Explanation of format and introduction of candidates by moderator. Moderator will determine order of statements.
· William Contreras
· Cameron Cox
· Terence Johnson
· Tera Phipps
· Timothy A. Priano
· Dr. Avania Richardson-Miller
· Harry M. Watson, Jr.
4. Opening statements of candidates—1 ½ minutes for each opening statement.
5. Written questions from cards submitted by the audience until 15 minutes before forum’s end.
- The candidate to whom the question is addressed will have 1 ½ minutes to answer the question.
- A rebuttal of 1 minute from the opposing candidates will be allowed but not required.
6. General Rules regarding questions:
- A candidate may refuse to answer a question, but in that instance the other candidate may answer, if they desire.
- Questions must follow the League policy of being concerned with issues, not personalities. All others will be ruled out of order by the Moderator.
- A timekeeper shall sit in full view of the candidates to indicate that the time is finished. A sentence may be completed, but under no circumstances will a speaker be allowed to extend the specific time.
7. Each candidate will have 1 ½ minutes for closing statements. The candidates will speak in reverse order of opening statements.
8. Closing Words by League Member – Vacate building.